Monday, June 16, 2008

Grind Surprise

Yesterday - Father's Day - John, My brother Jay, Sister in law Karen and I hit the Grouse Grind. It was a beautiful yet busy day to step the mountain. John hit the top at 44 minutes, Jay 47 minutes and I managed exactly 60 mins., Karen didn't want to know her time so I'm not going to publish it. I am very proud of Karen for completing the Grind as it was her first time and she didn't know what she was in for. Too, being the competitive three that John, Jay and I are, we weren't much of companions. Karen ia a trouper and she completed it with a smile on her face.

Once at the top we had a healthy snack and enjoyed the view. During conversation John and Jay were commented that they would never climb down as it would be to hard on the knees and back.

We headed for the gondola and to our surprise the lineup had approx. 1,000 people in it. The gondola had been broken down for a couple hours and wasn't running yet! We waited briefly, then after a short discussion decided to hike back down:) That was our first time hiking down. The first part was difficult and challenging for my short legs but the rest was great and fast. Thank god for CrossFit as I don't think I would have been able to do both a year ago. Again, proud of Karen for going down too and in record time.

So much for never hiking down. It is always an unpredictable adventure when you go somewhere with the de Boer's:)

Father's Day dinner was a nice bbq with Dad, Mom, Leanna Chad, Jay, Karen, John and I at our house. Lots of fun:)

6 comments:

Leanna said...

if you call your legs short one more time....

Anonymous said...

Way to go Hollie! Sounds like a great day. I've never done the grouse grind...have to add it to my list of goals! :)See ya tonight!

Hollie said...

You wait till we are climbing down next weekend Leanna - you will be calling your legs short too:) See you tonight Michelle:)

Leanna said...

haha so I take it we're doing the grind this weekend ?

Surrey Sterling said...

Ok are you gonna update this dam thing! I like to read "Updated" Blogs with my coffee:)

jenn said...

Hollie give us some updates lady!! ;)